Wednesday, June 26, 2024

American Chestnut and Beech. Saying goodbye. 1:30 am pickup.

Short because: wedding in two days, drive to New Hampshire in one, various papers due, plus packing and prep.

I did my one day vision quest, it was great. Need to do something like that more often, it really enriches my whole life so deeply. Perhaps more on the details of that and the realizations I had later. Suffice it to say I got good answers to all my questions, plus a lot of really beautiful nature and some unexpected insights.

Was up till about 3am last night because the friend I was picking up from the airport (who is also going to this wedding) had their already late flight delayed further. Thankfully, I don't have any early appointments so I was able to sleep in till around 10am and I'm doing alright.

Getting a haircut and beard trim for the wedding today from a... I want to call them old-timey, but they are obviously modern. What's that called when ultra-modern people dress-up and decorate like old-timey, and work in more slow, artisanal ways, but keep the modern conveniences? In any case, I chose them for closeness and reviews, not ambiance, but I'm looking forward to the ambiance. Got to savor life in the moment yeah?

It's really wonderful staying at my parents house and having this massive forest in our backyard, I wish I had that for my future kids. I wish everybody who wanted it had it, it's sad how our green spaces and nature get taken away, especially for the poorest people. Everyone should have access to nature if they want it. My class is all about how. healing and stress-reducing that can be, plus it can inculcate a love of nature in children and then pro-environmental behavior, which we need to inculcate in everyone these days, for the sake of our survival as a species. (Not to mention the survival of other species).

It was bittersweet, in the vision quest sitting among a grove of beech trees that were slowly dying from some type of disease that targeted them. So much beauty, and nostalgia for my childhood home which had a lot of beech trees, and the sadness of things you love ending. I grief their loss, and am grateful for the beauty and joy they gave me, that makes me now sad of their passing. 

Maybe some of the beech trees will learn from the others that are sick and develop some protective measures, and some will survive. I hope so. But sometimes, like with the american chestnuts, the blight pretty much wipes them out altogether. Though I remember stumbling across a grove of american chestnuts that had been specifically bred to be resistant to chestnut blight. They weren't quite ready to go into the wild yet, but were getting there. People quietly doing beautiful things for future generations. Warms my heart and gives me hope.

Alright, bye for now, keep the flame burning.

-I Out

No comments:

Post a Comment