Thursday, August 22, 2019

cockroach poo, decision fatigue, NASA mandatory napping policy

So tired. Setting up classroom. Decision fatigue. Cleaning super duper gross, cockroach poop under sink areas. Disgust/horror fatigue. moving stuff all day on my feet: physical fatigue. Just want to rest. But I have too much to do, so instead, I'm switching to other activities that I need/want to do, that are different. Like catching up on my blog.

I'm doing so much. I'm doing way more than last year, it feels like. That seems obvious, because I am capable of more, I can predict more. One would expect that. Still, it feels like a lot. However, there's a part of me that feels more comfortable than last year. I've been gaining lots of skill and knowledge, in specific, but I feel like I've also been gaining skill in general, at being able to handle larger workloads. Still very much in process of learning, but I definitely feel like I'm making progress. Getting more efficient, and more willing to take action and take risks.

I think that's all I'm going to write for this week. This is already almost a week late, like the last one. My brain is almost blurry. No, it is full on blurry. My body doesn't want to move. I need to take it easy. maybe I will take a short nap. cat naps when you're really tired are one of the best things ever, for me. Just short ones, no more than thirty minutes. I wake up, and it's like I've had a good nights rest. If you go over thirty minutes, you start getting some sleep hangover, that grogginess that takes a while to shake off, so I usually play it safe and set the alarm for a few minutes before the half hour mark. I think I heard about this study and experiment via a story of a NASA person who had his team take strategic 27 minute naps at certain points during the day/

also, in the science literature about mastery, the people who perform at the top of their fields, sleep around an extra hour, mostly as naps. it helps recover after the intense focus required for deliberate practice, and sleep can actually help you consolidate learning.

OK, goodbye for the week. next week on Wednesday, school starts for real. I feel like I could do with another week and a half just to prep, both physical classroom and planning. Why is there never enough time? I feel like that shouldn't be so inescapable. It's not a law of physics. There must be some way to do things so that it feels like you do have sufficient time.

Until next time, take care and keep napping ;-)
-IO

No comments:

Post a Comment