Sunday, September 22, 2019

Thought experiment

I posted a longer version of this on my more spiritual-pondering style blog, but I'll just give a quick recap here: I got to ask a spiritual luminary a question about what to do with feeling totally overwhelmed, not enough time or energy for everything. I will try to re-listen to the answer, since it was recorded with a bunch of other people's questions, but the points that stand out clearly are: stay in alignment (meaning, connected to source, spirit, whatever you want to call it. And being directed by That) and two, stop thinking the thoughts, "I'm too busy, I don't have enough time/energy" etc. because that creates that reality for me.

I also went into depth in my other post how something near to that kind of advice, one of the popular interpretations of "positive thinking" really irks me and strikes me as counterproductive lying to yourself, but I don't think that's what she meant. I think she was referring to the real thing, the fact that our perspectives are not absolute, and the meanings we give to things are kind of arbitrary, but very self-fulfilling. If you are able to "not take yourself too seriously" about your beliefs, it becomes quite doable, to simply drop the beliefs that are not serving you and replace them with ones that do. Henry Ford said it in a catchy way, (misquoting him) "whether you think you can, or you think you can't, your right."

She wasn't even saying to replace them, looking at my notes. Just to drop the ones that aren't serving me.

In any case, I asked and I got an answer, so now it's my job to give the advice a good solid try. This will be the starting date, and I'll be tracking things from here to see how it goes. So far, the morning has been very productive after the call, so a promising start, I guess. I'd like to keep you posted, for my own records, as well as your entertainment.


No comments:

Post a Comment