Friday, August 16, 2024

Amma, Mr. Rogers, Role Models.

 Just a quick catch-up post: I went to see Amma (Amritanandamayi) in Chicago over the weekend. It is such a blessing to be in the presence of a real saint. the atmosphere, the energy, is recharging, inspiring, transformative, just to be in. I love just sitting there, watching her give absolute attention and unconditional love to person after person. I love learning about all the humanitarian efforts and activities she does for people, I love seeing a person who is so totally unselfish, who's whole life is about giving to others, who is so moral, integrous, honest and good.

There is so much greed, lies, duplicity, selfishness, in our world. Even in the spiritual field, or religious field, where you want it to be all about goodness and service and truth, there is so much two-faced stuff, so many self-proclaimed gurus or religious leaders, putting on a show, looking at making money or earning fame, saying one thing and doing another. Commodification of spirituality. Use of religion to justify hate and violence and alienation and power and control. It is easy to become deeply cynical, and assume that is all there is. It is really nice to be reminded that it really is possible to be a deeply good person, without a secret dark shadow side. Amma does that for me, Mr. Rogers does that for me. There are other good ones as well, many, and I'm grateful for them existing in the world, but I suppose you could say they exist along a continuum, of just how selfless and surrendered to God they are, how benevolent and impeccable, and Amma is right along the furthest end of that spectrum.

It's an inspiration to know it is possible. And even though I intellectually already knew it, to be reminded of it, concretely, right in my face. 

And to have a role model, no matter how far removed from where I currently am, to aim for. Someone I can observe in their minute, minute by minute interactions with other people and begin to absorb and learn to resonate with their energy and way of being, at least a tiny bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment