Sunday, March 17, 2024

Momentum vs. Slowing down, Cycles vs. Consistancy, Optimism.

 OK.

I've asked and gotten an extension on one of the papers, I'm almost finished with the second. IF I continue at my current intense but sustainable pace of a paper every 5 days or so, I should be able to start chipping away at the 4 papers due on April 21st, so that when it gets to that time, I'm only doing maybe 2 papers that week.

I've heard a professor comment on how students (and teachers) tend to spin up during the semester, eventually getting at least somewhat comfortable with the pace of work. The key is having a somewhat steady pace of work. Humans can adapt to quite a lot, but if things keep changing, then they need to keep adapting. Like creating a habit, the hard part is the initial behavior change and the maintenance until it becomes semi-automatic as a habit. I think the same can be said for intensity of work habits. The problem comes when we take a break and then lose all that momentum, and then have to re-establish it. Change is hard.

That's not saying I want to get rid of breaks. There is a certain in-breath out-breath cycle of activity and rest that our bodys are designed for, and trying to stay at one level constantly is like trying to sit for too long without moving: it's unnatural and our bodies protest and start to get sick.

But there is a part of me that wants to keep some degree of motion and momentum through the breaks. I think this might be related to the truism that if you want something to get done, give it to someone who's doing a lot.

I've heard the idea of momentum given as an analogy in this context. You want to maintain and increase your psychological momentum for accomplishing things. For pushing outside of your comfort zone. For focused work.

At the same time, I'm reading a book talking about slowing down a bit, being more picky about what you decide to work on so you're not taking on too much, and can do what you are working on well. And I'm very strongly considering going down to 2 classes a semester rather than my current 3, because it just feels too full and rushed.

I'm uncertain however. If I can manage 3, by working efficiently, then it might be good to stick with it until that habit of focused work gets ingrained. It is a good excuse not to do time wasting activities, or at least, not too much of them. But I think 3 classes is a bit beyond what is useful. Not all of the time, but when things build up. 

I have a lot of non-school related things that could easily keep me busy, which I'm not getting to, because I've got to focus so much on school work. I think it would be good to get those life things taken care of, before kids come around. So that would mean taking the degree a bit slower.

Haven't fully pulled the trigger on that yet, but very strongly considering it.

In the meantime, this semester has started its most intense period, which continues through the first week of May. Then I get a few weeks break.

A bunch of house stuff has gotten done. We've listed our old house on Airbnb and Vrbo, we've got the tree's trimmed so hopefully no new roof damage, we've gotten the shed roof replaced and the giant tree branch cut up and hauled off. Any day now all the blood work and other such tests will be back and I can do a really in-depth look at my health with my doctor, perhaps for the first time ever. That's been a project I've been meaning to get to for probably a decade or more. Lots of stuff is happening. Even with the high course load. So that all feels pretty good. Which is a nice contrast from a week ago when I was feeling pretty down. Maybe it's the fact that I'm about to finish my final paper due this weekend and have a bit of time to start on the next one and get start getting ahead in preparation for April. Whatever the case, things are feeling/looking up.


With love,

- I Out


No comments:

Post a Comment